Saturday, March 16, 2013

Union of the Snake


3/16/13

Song by DuranDuran

St. Patrick's Day is a love/hate for me.  I do not like green beer. I do like leprechauns, 4 leaf clovers, rainbows and pots of gold.  I believe that the Irish deserve their day, particularly after the racial prejudices lobbed at them in the US upon settlement here.  But I have studied pre-Christian European religions and cultures and I know about what St. Patrick was all about.  The driving the snakes out of Ireland was really just a metaphor for killing or converting all the pagans to Christianity.  My friends and I used to have a "Bring Back the Snakes" celebration on the holiday.  
In the actual performance, Rahpture was wearing a "Traditional" Irish outfit and was tied to the rocks behind the altar,  I did not get any pix, because I was too stressed about my set at the time. 
Both at rehearsal and in the show I forgot to turn on my snakes.  Made me irritated that I forgot them, but for some reason they were really high around my ankles.

The song was my second choice, I thought Reptile by The Church would have been perfect but Chewie had done it and had it listed under Church, The.  So actually I liked this one just fine, and it took me back to my old Duranie days, screaming and singing a long with all my middle school girlfriends. 
So I never watch videos when working on songs, I try to keep my creative input to my own brain.  But I did re-watch the original one for this song after I did the act, and I was giggling at the way in which it had slipped into my subconscious.  I could have easily been cast to be in that video.  I have not watched any Duran Duran videos in at least 20+ years.  (I was allergic to them for years after my early adolescent overdose.)

The Sheep were my faves.  If you hovered over them you could learn their names:  Ovine Overlord, The Watcher on the Wall, I Speak Parcel Tongue, and Lady Ovinia.
The Parcel Tongue speaker is the one between the two cobras, having a pleasant chat.
At the end I got to ride out on my prehistoric Water Moccasin, though I think the curtain went down early.

The sign on the rock says "Welcome to Ireland, the land of a Thousand Welcomes"

I really want to change this one to use the song "Long Snake Moan" by PJ Harvey, and do it as a "repeat" sometime, with the boy still tied to the altar but wearing a sexy kilt, Celtic accoutrements, and no shirt. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment